Saturday, March 12, 2011

Eyes Wide Open

What I really love about travelling is the newness, the viual stimulation. Everything is fresh and it is as if you are seeing for the first time. At home, I am always looking, but rarely have the time I need and often feel I have done it or seen it before.

The colour here in Mexico is so strong and so saturated, it is very hard to ignore. I often feel compelled to take shots of the colour walls, segments of houses, abstract bands of yellow and rust and blue. It is Mondrian on acid. These are my visual exercises.








This time I had my Canon s95. It is a small fully manual wonderful camera that shoots raw and has a great lens. I bought it because I always wanted to have a camera with me and I walk with it in my hand just shooting from the hip capturing figures and shadows back lit in the wonderful late afternoon light. It is so great having the time and freedom to open my eyes and really see. Each day poses new visual challenges and forces me to try to change what I did the day before. It is so exciting and feeels so natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment