Saturday, January 29, 2011

Today I will be going in the other direction down the coast to New Richmond and Maria. The main purpose is to meet the members of Declic, the Gaspe photo club. They have invited me to give a lecture about the Garden at Night but first we are going snowshoeing together to see a waterfall. I think this is a test for me to see how fit I am. People here are very connected to nature. They love the fact that they can walk out of their houses and go for a walk on the beach or go camping in the woods . They also appreciate the tranquility and peacefulness of their lives. Many have lived elsewhere and are happy to be back.
















Roger is very patient. As we drive along the coast I am always yelling STOP STOP and he has to pull over or take a small road that looks interesting in order for me to take a photo. There is no traffic here and so it is possible.

My big challenge is to try to find different things to photograph. The water and sky are so beautiful and seductive that I could take handreds of shots only of that. However, my purpose is to try to get to the essence of what this place is in winter. I ask myself this question 20 times a day. I am looking for a metaphor, an object, a texture which will be the link between all the images.. This is the hardest part for me. It will take several more trips to the area and perhaps I will need to spend more time. These projects are long term and usually take me several years to put together a stong body of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment